May 19, 2008

Philipa Gregory

So, I haven't been keeping up with the whole "blogging about the books I am reading" thing. I have read a crap load this past few months, so I am about to do some major catch up...here are the highlights.

First, my brother loaned my Into the Wild by John Krakauer. The book was pretty short, and a very easy read. It reads more like a documentary and there is not very much emotion or feeling in it, except for one very moving part with he writes about the mother. The book is about a boy, who unhappy with his life and society, hitch hikes across the country, taking odd jobs here and there but mostly living off the land. He heads off to Alaska, where he eventually meets his death (not I am not giving anything away cause it tells you that in the first couple pages). I did not really like how the book made him look unstable (although he very well could've been). I also watched the movie, which I thought was fantastic! The movie had all the heart and emotion that the book was missing. The acting was beautiful, and the scenery was breath taking. It kinda made me wanna go hitch hiking across the country and live off the land, then I remembered that I like to shower and eat (a lot). There are a few nude scenes (not sexual, just hippy nakedness) so if you don't like that don't watch it...but otherwise go ahead you won't be disappointed. The soundtrack also kicks major booty.

Next, Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Hmmm...good read. It kept my interest, but it is a little weird and you get half way through the book before you can start to see where the story is trying to go. Crazy family drama, and another weepy "heroine". Why do I always end up reading books where the female lead is such a whiner?

I also got through the sequel to Pillars of Earth. Although it takes place 200 years after the first book, A World Without End is still considered the sequel. It is set in the same town, and centers around the legendary church the built in the first book. The story is much the same politics, disease, famine and really mean guys. But Ken Follet writes amazing characters, and you can't help but be sucked in. Steamy, romantic, thrilling and thought provoking...I just love it.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Housseni. Sad sad sad, but very good. This is the second book I read by this author. I always learn so much when I read him. Set in Kabul during the time the Russians invaded and the Taliban takes over. It is about a girl who loses her father and mother, only to be sold into marriage to a cruel man. She finds some way to survive and make a life for herself, and along the way finds little moments of joy. The book is just heart breaking, I cried most of the way through...but I was so glad I read it. Eye opening.

(Holy Crap! I am watching Smallville while I am typing this....and Lex just blew up the Fortress of Solitude....is that even possible?! Damn season finale cliff hangers!)

I also started (and almost finished) working my way through Philipa Gregory's' books. I got interested in her when I read The Other Boleyn Girl (which I only read cause I wanted to watch the movie, but missed it in the theater). Set in the time of King Henry and his many unfortunate wives, I was immediately hooked! I must have not been a very good history student , because when the be-headings started happening I was in complete shock. I then read her other sequels or prequels to that book (The Constant Princess, The Boleyn Inheritance and The Queen's Fool) all just as good...mostly true and very interesting. I have two book left in her "Queen" series and I am eager to finish them. I find that era so intriguing...showering yearly, going to mass 3 times a day, the church was the law of the land and the leader of the church was a moody King, plotting to seduce the King and over throw the throne, balls and masquerades....it is all just too much fun.

Last (and most certainly not the least) I just got through reading The Host by Stephanie Meyer. I just love her books! This book was about aliens and soul stealing body snatchers...a little different from her normal vampire love and adventure. The aliens have come to earth to get us humans under control. They insert their souls into our bodies (quite like Invasion of the Body Snatchers), some humans don't go so quietly...which is where this story begins. It's little hard to get into, but hooks you by the end of the first 100 pages. Her characters are always so passionate and fun to read (even though her female characters tend to be weepy and whiny), and I loved the good vs. evil (or is it evil?) what would you do type situations. I am always glad to read her books, and this one did not disappoint.

There you go, just about sums up my last couple months.

I am always looking for some new books if anyone has any recommendations.

I feel like a junkie, looking for her next high...Happy Reading!

4 comments:

Sabrina and BJ said...

into the wild was a good book it justg didnt go into alot of info about him the arthur wandered alot but it was good but the movie was better

April said...

I totally agree...I loved the movie so much. Sean Penn sure does know how to make a good movie.

Anonymous said...

You liked the movie? I thought it was boring and a bit pretentious. I haven't read the book though.
Loved A Thousand Splendid Suns. Khaled Hosseini is an incredible storyteller. I agree that you learn so much about history reading his story. I think what stood out for me was how he did such a great job coming from a female perspective. I find sometimes when I read a story written by a man about a woman it just doesn't work for me.

The Host was of course awesome. Started out slow I thought. I also just wanted the main character to die. But like you said SM's main characters are always whiney.

Anonymous said...

So because of you I went out and got one of Philippa Gregory's book - I was going to get The Other Boleyn Girl since I wanted to see the movie, but it was checked out already so I got The Boleyn Inheritance and since I loved that I had to get another...The Other Boleyn Girl was still out, so The Constant Princess (which is now MY FAVORITE BOOK) I cried and even though I knew the ending I was wishing and wishing for a different one.

Thanks!

I already have 3 more of her books on hold.