May 18, 2008

Book Reports

(Originally Posted Oct. 10, 2007)

So, last night as I was trying to fall asleep (every night it takes longer and longer) I came up with the brilliant idea that I am gonna start blogging about all the books I read. I used to keep a book diary when I was in high school, I think because I like to make lists and organize things...it was/is very therapeutic in a way. So here I go again.

The beginning of this year is all a blur, and I was mostly reading pregnancy, diet and baby books anyway. I started and finished the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer, which I really really enjoyed. Some people write her off, because she stays in the young adult genre. (But I enjoy reading young adult books, they are a fast and easy read...and sometimes you need a break from all those pretentious and wordy adult authors.) I spent most of the summer re-reading my Harry Potter books, getting ready for Deathly Hallows. I enjoyed spending the summer with Harry so much, I am considering doing it every year. Stardust by Neil Gaiman was short and sweet, and very entertaining. I got caught up on some of John Grisham's books (The Partner, Street Lawyer, The Summons)...I forget how much I love his writing and characters. Dear John by Nicholas Sparks, which was okay...but I hated the ending. Night by Elie Weisel, which was haunting and heart breaking. And Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen...which was very interesting, steamy, entertaining and over all a good read. I can't wait to read more of her books. So that about sums up the year...or at least most of it. Woo-hoo!

Now for my first official book blog...

What the Dickens by Gregory Macguire

I didn't love this book or hate it. It was entertaining, and a quick read. What the Dickens actually turns out to be a skibberbee, or tooth fairy. We follow his journey to find out who he is, and where he belongs in this world. It was funny, and left a lot to be imagined (which can be good and bad). This is G.M. first young adult book, and I found it much easier to follow than some of his other books. He tends to get a little wordy for me. The thing I love about Gregory Macguire is how he ties other books, stories and authors into the story, but not in a obvious way...they are like little hidden treasures. I have read all his books but Wicked and Son of a Witch are my favorite. Just waiting for his next book...

No comments: