May 18, 2008

Deep Sea Barfing

(Originally Posted Jan. 28, 2008)

My little brother came last week to visit. His first trip to Hawaii (and probably only)! I was so excited, and being the awesome big sister I am (and official Deimler/Bosko tour guide) I planned a kick ass deep sea fishing trip (well actually Sabrina planned it ALL, and they even paid for me! but it is my blog...). My brother is a hardcore hunter and fisher...dude (for lack of a better term) so he was mega excited! It was really the only thing he wanted to do while he was here. I had been counting down the days to our big fishing trip for weeks.
A whopping $200 per person and a wake up call of 4am...and we were off.
I was so giddy (and so was everyone else for that matter). The boat was so small and cute. I love being on the water. And I was so excited to be spending time with my little brother. The first hour was fun. A little bouncy and cold, but the prospect of maybe catching my first fish kept my spirits high.
Then the nausea came. And the dizziness set in. Then the barf. GAH! I could barley stand up, yet I had to keep running to the side of the boat to "let it out". Pure torture. And my poor baby brother, who had been looking forward to this for weeks...I think he had it worse than me.

Deep Sea Barfing
Me losing my breakfast.

Poor BJ!Barfin' BJ

All we could do was lie down, close our eyes, and try not to die. Every time we tried to get up we would "loose it" again, so BJ and I just laid in the cabin all day. They paid for an all day fishing trip. So, basically they paid $200 (per person) to throw up and sleep. What an expensive nap! I remember thinking early on (before the exhaustion set it) how we could get out of the trip. Maybe I could slip on the wet deck and cut my head...just a few stitches, we could be home before the afternoon and still go out that night. As I watched the island get smaller and smaller, all I could think was I wanna go home.
BJ and Sabrina did end up catching 2 beautiful fish (Mahi Mahi). And that 10 minutes it took to reel them in and size them up was so exciting. It almost made all the throwing up worth it...almost. I did not catch anything (I am still pretty bummed about it. I have been fishing 2x and have never managed to catch more than moss). And I slept through the whale sighting (it has been a dream of mine since I was 12, or whenever Free Willy came out, to see real whales). I remember Sabrina trying to wake us up to tell us that we were pulling into the harbor...and all I could think was thank God we were almost home.
If you ask me now, after the vomit taste is out of my mouth, I had fun. Not because it was the party we had all planned it to be, but because I got to bond with my little brother. My barf brother, as he likes to call it now. I will probably never go on a trip like that again. And the plans to have a second baby are totally off the table, now that the horrible memories of morning sickness are fresh in my mind. But I am glad we went...

Our Fishin' Trip
Both fish caught were Mahi Mahi. Sabrina's was 12 lbs. and BJ's was 16 lbs. The only reason we are smiling so big is because we were so happy to back on land!

1 comment:

Rebeccah Mildenstein said...

LOL!!! OH MY GOSH that was halarious! I am stealing the pic and keeping me one for rainy days!