May 18, 2008

King of Torts

(Orignally Posted Oct. 17, 2007)

King of Torts by John Grisham

Definitely not one of J. Grisham's best, although he hasn't come close to his best in years. I fell in love with J. Grishman when I was 14. I started reading A Time To Kill, and I was mesmerized. It was the first book that I can remember not being able to put down, I would stay up reading until 2 or 3 in the morning. Since then I have read him off and on, nothing (of his) has ever been as good as his first book.
Blah...That is all I can say. It was like reading about a very slow and predictable train wreck. Clay is a lawyer (duh, it is a J. Grisham book) who gets in WAY over his head. One bad decision after the other. He is a rookie, trying to prove himself. He is approached by Max who is all charm and too many secrets. Max is a "inside man" who leaks Clay info on several different companies, he sues, settles, and makes millions. I found myself screaming at the book...take the money and run. It was not gonna end well... At the end of the book he declares bankruptcy and runs. The stuff in the middle was just boring law jargon, and numbers. I did not care about the characters in the book, so I did not care about the ending. I kinda wish he would've gone to jail, he was after all guilty.

No comments: