April 27, 2010

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane  by Katherine Howe

★★★

While cleaning out her Grandmother's old abandoned house Connie stumbles across an old Bible, with a key and a slip of paper reading 'Deliverance Dane' hidden inside.  As a student of early American history she is intrigued, and sets out to find more about Deliverance, and in turn herself.
I liked this story a lot.  The idea of it, and the execution, I thought it was beautifully written.  I probably would have given it four stars if I didn't have so many issue with Connie (the main character) as a scholar and a graduate student I found her character to be a little dense and slow.  Parts of the story, while good, were a bit predictable and that wears on me as a reader (I like suspense, and not knowing what is going to happen).  All that said, I thought it was a fun and great read.

No comments: