June 18, 2008

The Virgin's Lover and Blast From the Past

The Virgin's Lover by Philipa Gregory

Finally finished! It took me forever to get through his book, and not because it wasn't good...but I think I am just burned out with England and the Tudors. This book was about Queen Elizabeth in the first years of her reign. I always had the opinion that Elizabeth was a strong, independent woman, but this book shattered all those thoughts. Philipa always uses facts to write her book, but somethings she puts her own little spin on. This book made the Queen look like a whiny, lovesick fool. Pressured into choosing a suitor to marry, Elizabeth makes her self sick in love with a man she can never marry. Trying to keep her borders safe, reorganizing the church (again), and proving to herself and the people that she deserves and should keep the throne is enough to make any woman crazy....then you add a man and hormones HA! Sir Dudley, the Queen's lover, is already married and his wife suspiciously and conveniently dies...was it murder, suicide or an accident (to this day no one really knows). The story was intriguing, but a little slow because (like always) we already know the ending. I love her writing and story telling, she can really bring the court of England to life...but I think I just need a break from her. So...I bought a pile of books at Borders, with dragons, vampires, and other non sense! It won't be too long a break though, because I still have 4 others Philipa Gregory books I want to read. One in particular coming out this fall, about King Henry's last wife (Mary I think)...I really want to know what would posses another women to fall into the trap of marrying him, curious indeed (he was so delusional and gross in the last years of his life). Up next...The Nature of Monsters by Clare Clark, Happy Reading!



On another note...I just wanted to share this little video with all of you. I was telling Laura about this Fresh Prince of Belaire episode that I loved years ago. My girlfriend (Michaela) and I would get so excited every time it came on (oh! how I used to dream of Tivo back then...I think I was 11 or 12). Anyway, in the episode Uncle Phil was pissed at Will for some reason or another, and he told him he was gonna have to leave if he screwed up again, and of course he did...so Will lip syncs this song to him. This is the exact moment I fell in love with Will Smith, and Jennifer Holiday!!! Enjoy this little blast from the past.... (you are gonna have to pause my awesome little music player, and turn up your volume)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched that video 3x and laughed so damn hard! I love that show and after I had Gavin and went back to work at home, I would watch it on Nick at night. I still catch it a few times a month. Its so classic!

Nat said...

I have a great bio for Queen E. I will have to pass on the info...it is an interesting read. I went through this thing with roalty a few years ago...even my fav Marie Anntoinette was made into a movie! I Love the Tudors, AND I have a copy of The Other Boelyn Girl. Ms Gregory is so fun to read.