May 13, 2009

Me? Fat?

Yesterday, Harry had his 6 month well baby check-up and immunizations (and like always we are running about a month late).  He is 27.9 inches long and  28.8 pounds.  A perfect image of health...except the doctor thinks he is TOO fat.  Too fat?  Is that even possible?  He is a baby.  I was trying to talk to the doctor about a couple questions I had, but he couldn't get off the FAT subject.  I told him how Harry has been having a lot of diarrhea lately (sorry TMI) and I was a little  worried about it and he had the nerve to tell me "well, he can stand to have a little more, cause he really is too fat" (seriously).  He asked me over and over what we fed him and how much (not much, cause he still hates to eat baby food, just his milk).  He re-weighed Harry, and measured him again.  He then lectured me for 20 minutes about over feeding him (trust me I don't, I don't have time for that and he isn't that interested anyway) and making sure he is active enough (um....active enough, he is a BABY, not a 2 year old).  Whatever Dr. Quack....I mean Dr. Kwok (yea, that is his real name, but for now and forever will be known as Dr. Quack in our house).
I never thought his adorable plumpy-ness was an issue (well, frankly I still don't).   He has been big since the day he was conceived.  It is all we have ever heard about him.  When I was pregnant they would go on and on about how big he already was.  He is not unhealthy.  It's just Harry.  Bigger than life.  He has to be to keep up with Clark.  And that's the way we like him. 

5 comments:

Caleb said...

Just nod and thank the doctor for his help, and do your own thing. As long as you are trying to feed the kid that is all you can do. You can't force feed babies.

Emma said...

I get the exact opposite at our dr appt! You need to feed her more, can she even hold her own head up, can she roll over or sit up. At our last appt, the dr was so surprised at how well she held herself up and that she could roll over. It isn't my fault she looks like she 4 months old! LAME! I like them fatty fatty, and really tiny too!

April said...

Well, he is not our normal doctor and this was the first (and last) time we see him.

I am not worried about it at all. He is going to be crawling any day now, and all the adorable chunkyness is going to melt right off.

Becca said...

Dr. Quack is right! That is so irritating. He may be chunky, but its all good - every baby is different.

I would tell the normal doctor on him.

Andrea said...

ooo sometimes i hate doctors, they said the same thing about my nephew, babies are supposed to be chubby and fat, thats that. my sister just gavehim less milk and more soft foods adult foods. i fed my older boy adult foods b4 i was suppose to because he was growing way too fast and that seemed to fill him up more, i say go with whatever your baby wants and needs, all kids are different.

harry is perfect.