May 28, 2009

Song of the Exile

Song of the Exile  by Kiana Davenport

✭✭✭✭✭ (out of 5 stars)

Amazing!  
Set mostly in Hawaii, during World War II, this story follows a family trying to survive the casualties of war, the loss of children, brothers, lovers, the loss of self.  Fighting for their dignity and honor, for land and culture, trying to find what they lost in the war.  Haunting, captivating, and heart breaking, this book was sad, beyond sad and at times it was hard to read, but impossible to put down.  So beautifully written, magical, like poetry.  I love how she mixed languages, cultures, and music to bring the story more life.  I absolutely loved this book.  It opened my eyes, and gave me more appreciation for what I have and where I live.  It gave me new found respect for the Hawaiian culture that I love, and this beautiful state that I get to live in for a little while.  I can not wait to read Kiana's other books, she is truly a gifted author.

No comments: