December 08, 2009

Through A Glass Darkly

Through A Glass Darkly  by Karleen Koen

✭✭✭ (out of 5 stars)

I liked this book, the beginning just sucked me right in.  I cared about the characters, however ridiculous, and had to find out what happened next.  However, and this is a big fat however...  The ending was horrible.  There was too much heartache, death after death, no redemption, I don't know how poor Barbabra survived it all.  There was too much trash, the first half of the book was great, but as soon as you got into the second half there was orgies and gay men, and trash trash trash...grrr after I was already hooked too.  As many things as I hated about the book, I was sad to put it down.  It really deserved a better ending, and happier one for Barbabra and her family.
The characters were great, as was the setting.  I love reading about Europe during the 1700's.  The balls, the politics, the court and church...it is all so interesting to me.  It reminded me a lot of Phillipa Gregory's books.  There is a sequel, and a prequel to this book, and I am sure I will pick them up eventually.

No comments: