December 27, 2009

The Alchemist

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

✭✭ (out of five stars)

I just can't make up my mind about this guy. I like his ideas, and for the most part the stories (I have read two of his books so far). But I just don't like the execution. I feel like so much is left out, and it could be so much more. More detail, more story, I like a story with more depth. This book got such rave reviews, as well as the author... maybe I am just missing something, I am just not deep enough to get it.
This book is about a young boy, in search of his personal legend. The story was thoughtful, and had a really nice message about finding out who you are and not giving up on your dreams. It was a pleasant easy read, just left a little to be desired... and I need more closure when I read a book.
I hate to say it, but I do want to read more of his books... so maybe he is not too bad after all ;)

No comments: