November 06, 2009

Middlesex

Middlesex  by Jefrey Eugenides

✭✭✭ (out of 5 stars)

I liked this author, more than the book.  I loved the way he described things, and wrote of the characters.  I was sucked into their world.  BUT I didn't really care too much about their world.  The characters were interesting enough, but I really didn't have too much invested in them.
The story follows three generations of the Stephanides family, thier imagration to America from Greece, and a family secret that forver alters the life of Calliope.  Calliope or Cal was rasied a girl, at the age of 14 finds out she is an hermaphordite.  She runs away from home, to find herself and escape a procedure that would have decided the rest of her life for her.  (As you can see I mostly idenified with Cal as girl.)  I was annoyed how the author choose to protray Cal's "change".  He spent so much time and detail writing her story, but when it came to one of the most important parts of the book (why she chooses to become a boy) I felt so left out and a little confused.

No comments: