August 02, 2008

The Poisonwood Bible

I really enjoyed this book. It was the first book I have ever read read by Barbara Kingsolver, even though several of her books have been on my "To Read" list for years. I am not sure why I choose it, it was an impulse buy at Borders...but I did enjoy every second of it.
The story is told through 5 different point of views. Not as confusing as it sounds...
The Price family is off to Africa, to be missionaries in the Congo. Lead by an abusive and hateful father who can't stop living in his past...so in turn he tortures his family to make up for it. The bulk of the story is told by his four daughters, snotty Rachel, my heroine Leah, Adah the genius, and innocent Ruth May. I loved reading the different point of views, and getting a sneak peak in to the story a little at a time. The Mom also adds her say every now and then, sort of as an after thought to defend herself and her actions. The story is beautifully told, and I really felt like I was there suffering along with the Price family the whole time. One thing I also really enjoyed about the story, is that she took us through the majority of the girls life. Instead of finishing it after a dramatic moment, we got to grow up with them as well...I felt like I got a lot of closer from the story. I loved reading about Africa, and getting to know the country. Thrilling, thoughtful, sad at times, and hopeful, the book is a good read. I wasn't disappointed...

2 comments:

Briggs Family said...

I wish I like to read. It looks like fun. Mostly I like to spend my time day dreaming.

Anonymous said...

This is next up on my list! I was thinking about going to B&N today and getting it. I am still a little sad over the whole Breaking Dawn disappointment. So I may have to wait a week to recoup and go on with my life.