February 08, 2009

He speaks...

Well almost.  Last week were watching  tv, and the people on his show were making a fruit salad.  The lady was cutting up an apple and talking about it, when all of the sudden he says 'appum'.  Hooray!!  His FIRST word!!!  I spent the next 2 days getting him to repeat it as often as possible.  I would say, "say apple Tuna".  And he would always reply, "appum". 
So,  I get out my video camera to document the historical moment, and he won't say it again.  In fact it has been like 4 days, and no matter what I do, I can not get him to repeat it.  Why is he such a stubborn little Tuna?!  
This is not the only time he has done this...
At Christmas time, when he got his Walle book, he was so excited he said, "Walle".  I was not the only one that heard it either.  But he never said it again, no matter what bribery we offered.  Another time I thought I heard him say, see ya later (mimicking his favorite cartoon) it was slurred and sounded like one word...but it was there.  
Baby steps I guess.  At least he is trying now, which is way better than the silence.  We had his evaluation a couple weeks ago, and he qualifies for help with his speech.  So a few times a month they will come over and help Clark, and teach us how to help him.  I am really looking forward to it, and I think it is going to be so good for Clark.
Before we know it, he is going to be talking...and we aren't going to be able to get him to shut up.

No comments: