September 17, 2008

Let's go to the movies...

Just for Caleb...

So, I don't really review movies, because I find I am not really objective enough. Especially when I love the actors and or director who is making the movie. I can generally always find some redeeming quality about the movie, and as long as I was entertained its all good to me.

Do I think the X-Files movie is worth watching? Of-course. Putting aside my obsession with David Duchovny, just for a minute, and trying to be objective. I thought the movie was really good. I loved the cinematography and the creepy coolness of it all. I thought the story was interesting, and scary...although just a little predictable. I loved the classic back and forth struggle between Mulder and Scully...I forgot how much I missed them. The performance by Billy Connonly was intriguing and sad, one of my favorite. I loved Amanda Peet, and was pleasantly surprised she managed to keep her top on (first movie I can remember seeing with her all the way dressed). I got so lost in the "X-Files" world, I forgot it had been years since we were all there. I thought they did a great job staying true to what we all knew and loved. Can I just say again....I really loved seeing Mulder and Scully back together (still trying to be objective, but it is not working). By the end of the movie I was sucked in and cheering, and I almost peed my pants with excitement when one of my favorite characters from the tv series showed up (although I think the man next to me was annoyed by my excitement, ha!). Overall... good movie.
Now, do I think it was worth the almost 10 year wait? Nope. With all the build up I was expecting so so much more. I did not mind that the movie took a step away from the alien conspiracy theories...but I just felt like something was missing. The movie could've been a regular (although awesome) tv episode. I still want them to make another movie, I think I will always need a little Mulder and Scully in my life.
I think it was worth the $18 movie tickets, and $20 worth of treats...I would definitely try to see it in the theater.

On another note, I just want to say how much I am loving Guillermo del Toro right now. I am thrilled by the news of him getting together with the Lord of the Rings gang to make The Hobbit (in two movies...awesome). I love everything he has ever done! I recently just watched The Orphanage (which he produced) and was sucked into the movie and world he created...great scary movie.
Also, one last note. Nims Island sucked! I am not surprised, it looked like a crappy movie, but we really try to watch everything in our house...cause who knows if you are missing out on something fantastic. Too bad too cause Gerard Butler is hot, and he could've really saved the movie.

3 comments:

JethRobyn said...

Hey, this wasn't just for Caleb, I have been eagerly anticipating the movie as well, but seeing as I get to the theater close to never, I'm awaiting the Red Box version!!

Emma said...

We watched the Devils Backbone the other day. (Another Guillermo movie) It was pretty good! Not as good as The Orphanage, but Cody and I really liked it! He keeps finding all these movies he did! Soon we will probably have them all! I also am going to wait for X-files to come out on DVD. I don't think it is in the theaters anymore!

Caleb said...

Hey this was all mine. I submitted the request! Anyway thanks for the review. I sufficiently lower my expectations and love it no doubt.