June 02, 2010

Way Back Wednesday, or My Travelin' Man

Way Back Wednesday this week, but only because I have forgotten the past couple Flashback Fridays ;)

Jason's weekend work trip to Wake Island.
Earlier this month Jason got called out on a last minute trip to Wake Island.  Occasionally, with his job, he will have to fly out on the big C130's to pick up people up who need medical attention.  Sometimes he only has to go to Kauai, or the Big Island, and other times he may have to go as far as Guam, Christmas Island or Midway.  Even though it is work, I don't think he minds getting away for a day or two, and visiting some pretty cool places.  I, on the other hand, am very jealous and wish I could sneak along with him.  I wish I could visit some of the places he has gone for "work" but I will just have to be satisfied enjoying his pictures.
Can you believe how HUGE these hermit crabs were!
Jay on a boat, getting ready to go pick up a wounded fisherman...or something.
This picture really doesn't have to do anything with this post, I just think he looks handsome :)
These pictures were taken when we lived in Alameda, California when he was station on the CG Cutter Sherman.  He was stationed on the boat for about 18 months, and they went on some pretty amazing trips, down the coast to South America, and up the coast to Alaska and the Bering Strait.
Jay and his friends/co-workers on the CG Cutter Sherman.

Getting ready for his horseback tour through the jungles in Costa Rica.
(Work???  I was/am so jealous...maybe I should join the Coast Guard.)

Some of the stops during their South American Tour was Ecaudor, Costa Rica, Cabo San Lucas, and Puertro Rico... just to name a few.  They were gone for such a long time, but they did some good work out there.
Jay and his friends/co-workers taking a much needed break from the rigors of boat life.  
I know it was hard being on the boat, for months at a time, away from family and the comforts of home, so I am glad they got to get out and take breaks every now and then, even if I am still a little envious.
I am so thankful for the Coast Guard in our life.  It provides for our family well, gives Jason great education and a job he loves (most days), and we have been able to meet some of our closest friends and make some unforgettable memories.

No comments: